Tortuguero 3 Days 2 Nights
One of the country’s main attractions Tortuguero National Park with its innumerous lagoons and canals. Host to more than 100,000 visitors each year, Tortuguero National Park is the fourth most visited national park in Costa Rica. Created in 1975, it teems with wildlife, both aquatic and land-based, including many species of waterfowl and the elusive jaguar. It is also an important nesting site for the endangered green sea turtle (Chelonia mydas) and, to a lesser degree, the leatherback, loggerhead and hawksbill turtles.
Tortuguero National Park is also comprised of protected beaches and densely vegetated rainforest with a few hiking trails. Each year, primarily from July through October, Tortuguero visitors can join an evening turtle tour to observe some of the thousands of green sea turtles nesting on the beach.
There are 65,711 acres of protected land and 113,014 acres of protected waters in the park. It is contiguous to the Barra del Colorado Wildlife Refuge and together, these two regions form an enormous conservation area that is rich in biodiversity.
The humid rainforest and canals are a paradise for birdwatchers and nature lovers. The best way to see as much wildlife as possible is with an experienced naturalist guide. A three-hour boat tour of the park’s canals costs about $25 with a local guide.
- Average daytime temperature: 87° F
- Average night temperature: 69° F
Tortuguero’s annual rainfall averages 175-235 inches. The climate is humid and very hot, with frequent showers. The driest months are February-March and September-October. Visitors should anticipate two types of rain: brief afternoon showers and the long Caribbean drizzle that can last up to two weeks.
Four species of sea turtles – the green, leatherback, hawksbill and loggerhead – nest on the beaches of Tortuguero. The green sea turtle comes ashore more frequently than the other three species. More than 2,600 green sea turtles were tagged by the Caribbean Conservation Corporation in 2000, compared to fewer than 100 leatherback turtles.Visitors can participate in evening turtle tours to observe nesting green sea turtles from July through October. These tours can be arranged in the village or with a lodge, but are only permitted with licensed guides.The world’s largest sea turtle, the leatherback (Dermochelys coriacea), nests in Tortuguero from March through June. The beautiful hawksbill turtles (Eretmochelys imbricata) come ashore in even smaller numbers from March through October – August is the peak month.There is an abundance of wildlife and plant diversity in the park’s gallery forests and aquatic trails. More than 400 species of trees, 2,200 species of plants, 375 species of birds, 125 mammal species and 124 species of reptiles are found here. Common sightings include tiger herons, green herons, great blue and little blue herons, toucans, anhingas and egrets.Sloths, basilisk lizards, green iguanas and caimans, as well as howler, spider and white-faced monkeys are common. Although rarely sighted, tapirs, jaguars and manatees are native to the area. Native flora include the hawk tree, crab wood, banak, bully tree and dove wood, as well as aquatic lilies, monkey ladder and wild plantain.
Tortuguero Package 3 days @ 2 Nights
Day 1 San Jose – Tortuguero
- 06:00 am Early morning pick up at your hotel, then ground and boat transfer (breakfast)
- 11:00 am Boat through the canals to Tortuguero National Park (approx. 3 hours)
- 01:00 pm Arrival to the lodge, lunch, followed by a visit to Tortuguero Town and to the Caribbean Conservation Corporation Museum (Entrance fee not included $1.00 per person)
- Rest of time at leisure for other activities. Optional Turtle Night Tour is also available with the hotel: The nesting of Sea Turtles is one of natures amazing spectacles. Green Turtles nest along the beaches of Tortuguero National Park from July to October. The others have different seasons!
- Accommodation at hotel in Tortuguero.
- 08:00 am Breakfast at the lodge
- 09:00 am Hiking tour to Tortuguero Hill: Excellent birding and wildlife watching, besides great views! Return for lunch. Ask your guide about other day activities.
- 03:00 pm Afternoon Canal Boat Tour for great nature sights and free evening/afternoon
- Accommodation at hotel in Tortuguero.
Day 3 Tortuguero – San Jose
- 08:00 am Breakfast, departure. Boat and ground transportation from Tortuguero to San José. Lunch.
End of services !
Rates per person based on 2 participants minimum
|Single supplement||Double occupancy/per person|
- 2 night accommodation on Standard room in one of the selected Tortuguero lodges (hotel assignment based on availability). Hotel taxes included: 13% sales
Transportation and tours:
- Ground and boat transfers from San Jose to Tortuguero, Visit to Tortuguero Town and Caribbean Conservation Corporation Museum, Hiking tour, Afternoon canal boat, Boat and ground transfers from Tortuguero to San José
- Day 01: Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner,
- Day 02: Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner,
- Day 03: Breakfast and Lunch,
- Meal taxes included: 13% sales + 10% service
- Mandatory entrance fee to Tortuguero National Park, Donation
PACKAGE DOES NOT INCLUDE:
- Turtle Nesting Night Tour, Other activities or meals not indicated, Soft drinks or alcoholic drinks during meals. Subject to change without notice), Gratuities for maids at hotels, guides, etc.